Friday, August 13, 2010

Seyi: The Next British R&B Breakthorugh?

Seyi is a 20-year-old accounting student at the University of Kent but born and raised in Hackney, East London. He's waiting for his chance to make it big in on global scale.

Q. So how long have you been doing music?
A. Well I’ve been recording for two years, but singing for as long as I can remember.

Q. And who inspires you?
A. Lots. Chris Brown, Mario, John Legend, Jill Scott, Usher, Justin Timberlake. The list goes on.

Q. That’s a lot of American artists. Do any UK artists inspire you?
A. Well there aren’t many out there. No real UK pioneers in my genre. We had Craig David for a bit but I don’t know what happened.

Q. So I guess you are looking to be that pioneer. What’s in the immediate future for your music?
A. Well I plan on releasing a mixtape based on the skeleton of Chris Brown's recent one. It’s going to have seven tracks and be my first free release, just to penetrate the market.

- Interview by Shanae Mitchell. Image provided by Seyi.

1 comment:

Woodzee said...

Dope shades on the dude in the picture. I'm wondering what that frame style is called..